Boynton Yellow Car, 1858 – 1958
Title: Boynton Yellow Car, 1858 – 1958
Call Number: Mss-0131
Bulk: .3 cu. ft.
The Boynton Yellow Car Company first began in 1858 when Alonzo Boynton (1828-1902) opened a hack and boarding stable. He began the business with two carriages and teams. The business continued to grow and opened “Boynton’s Palace Livery” in 1882 at 449-453 Milwaukee St. (now 767 N. Milwaukee). Alonzo’s son Frank and daughter Mary took over the business in 1900. In 1903 the Boynton Co. bought four automobiles. The introduction of “Yellow Cabs” as transit services was having great success and consequently in 1917 Frank and Mary bought ten Dodge Cassis vehicles and started the Green Cab Co. In 1921 John P. Wagner (grandson of Alonzo) assumed managerial responsibly of the company. In 1923 the Boynton’s purchased the Milwaukee Yellow Cab Company and the Black and White Yellow Cab Company. Eventually all the cabs were the color yellow and Ford, Plymouth, and Chevrolet models. Alonzo’s great grandson, John P. Boynton, joined the company as a cab driver in 1939.
Material was added to the collection on March 14, 2002 and processed by Kevin Abing. The collection was refoldered and finding aid retyped on July 13, 2011 by Jenny Stevenson.
|Audit reports, 1924, 1928, 1929, 1932, 1940||1||2|
|Articles of Organization||1||3|
|History of Boynton Cab Company||1||5|
|Ledger Book and receipts||1||6|
|Yellow Cab Company Record Book||1||Loose in box|