Capitol Court, 1951-2000
Title: Capitol Court, 1951-2000
Call Number: Mss-2995
Bulk: 1.4 cu. ft.
Location: NE, Sh. 047
Historical Note: In 1952, Schuster’s Department Store purchased 65 acres of land situated between Capitol Drive, N. 60th Street and W. Fond du Lac Avenue for a new shopping center. Capitol Court opened in 1956 and soon became Milwaukee’s premier shopping center. In addition to Schuster’s, the mall housed 59 other businesses, including T. A. Chapman’s, J. C. Penney, Woolworth’s and a Kohl’s Food Store. Over the years, competition from newer malls and the lack of freeway access undermined Capitol Court’s prominence. Capitol Court was razed in 2001, and a new shopping complex, Midtown Center, was built at the location.
Abstract: The collection records consist of photos, clippings, booklets, brochures, press books and newspaper advertising.
Administrative Note: The collection was processed on February 17, 2005, by Kevin Abing and added to in February 2014 by Shannon Erb.
|Contents||Box #||Folder #|
|Schuster’s – Clippings re: Capitol Court, 1951-1955||1||1|
|Newspaper Ads, August 1956-December 1958||1||2|
|Graphics, 1957-1976 (not inclusive)||1||4|
|Specification Book, Capitol Court Shopping Center, 1954||1||Loose in box|
|Press Books, 1955 – 1969||2||Loose in box|
|Multimedia (See Mss- 2254)|
|Kiddietown Narrative CD #30|
|Common Council Resolution Commemorating 36th Anniversary of Capitol Court, 1992||OS SM “C”|
|Aerial View of Downtown Milwaukee||OS XLG|
|Photographs (See M-199)||File #|
|Groundbreaking & Reception||1|
|Events – Christmas||4|
|Events – Art Fairs||5|
|Events – Miscellaneous||6|
|Kiddietown slides||Loose in Box|
|2 boxes of Schuster’s 3-D Slides of Capitol Court Model||Loose in Box|
|Slide Viewer||Loose in Box|