The Milwaukee County Historical Society was founded in 1935 and has become the place for people to learn about and to celebrate Milwaukee.
Through education programs, exhibitions, the research library, our historic sites, and special events, MCHS offers Milwaukeeans and visitors to Milwaukee a chance to connect with the heritage of Milwaukee.
MCHS was founded in 1935 as the repository for County records and since that time, has continued to expand our services to the community. More than one million documents and photographs and more than 60,000 artifacts are preserved by MCHS and it is our hope to share these resources with the community.
The MCHS headquarters is located in a historic bank building along the Milwaukee River in downtown Milwaukee at 910 910 N Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. Drive (formerly North Old World Third Street). This location houses the museum, research library, offices, some collections storage and events and educational programs throughout the year. In addition to this main location, MCHS also operates Kilbourntown House in Shorewood’s Estabrook Park, and Trimborn Farm and Jeremiah Curtin House in Greendale.