Maxwell-Ray Manufacturing Company
Title: Maxwell-Ray Manufacturing Company
Reference Code: Mss-0903
Inclusive Dates: 1909 – 1944
Quantity: 1.0 cu. ft.
Location: WC, Sh. 054
Abstract: The Maxwell-Ray Manufacturing Company was a Milwaukee furniture, lamp and shade company. It began as the Maxwell & Stillman Company, founded by Hugh G. Maxwell and Henry M. Stillman – and then became Maxwell, Forbes and Stillman when John J. Forbes joined the firm. Walter W. Ray bought an interest in the company in 1904, and the name changed to Maxwell-Ray in 1911. The factory was located at 272 Reed Street (Reed St. and National Ave.) and the company showroom/offices were situated on Milwaukee Street and later at 530 N. Jackson Street. The company seems to have been dissolved circa 1956.
Scope and Content: The collection consists of correspondence; receipts; product information brochures, catalogues and portfolios; product photographs and other miscellaneous material.
Access and Use: No restrictions