Milwaukee Catholic Youth Symphony/Milwaukee Silver Strings Club
Title: Milwaukee Catholic Youth Symphony/Milwaukee Silver Strings Club
Reference Code: Mss-3190
Inclusive Dates: 1952-1958
Quantity: 0.03 cu. ft.
Location: Sm Mss
Abstract: The Milwaukee Catholic Youth Symphony was the junior affiliate of the Milwaukee Catholic Symphony. Initially, it was called the Milwaukee Catholic Junior Symphony, and its first concert took place on June 26, 1944. The group disbanded for a year because of a lack of practice space but reformed ca. 1950 and changed the name to the Youth Symphony. The Milwaukee Silver Strings Club was formed in 1949 by Sister Mary Imelda, O.S.F., of the Alverno College Music Department. The group included girls from area junior high schools, high schools and colleges, both public and parochial. The Club won regional and national awards and received a special citation at a 1958 concert at Carnegie Hall in New York.
Scope and Content: The collection consists of programs, newspaper clippings and photos.
Access and Use: No restrictions
Notes: Original photos transferred to Musical Groups Photo File, M-70